K-12 STEM Outreach Program
The United States Air Force Academy Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM) Outreach Program’s mission is to offer a variety of programs and services that effectively engage, inspire, and attract the next generation of STEM talent. This program offers STEM field trips at the USAFA, classroom visits, and a lending library for local STEM educators.
If you have questions about this program and/or would like to receive electronic newsletters from this program, feel free to contact Sandy Lamb, STEM Outreach Coordinator 719. 333. 8990 Sandra. Lamb. ctr@usafa. edu and/or check out their webpage at USAFA K-12 STEM Outreach .
Click here to access their latest brochure: 2019 USAFA STEM Outreach brochure
Click here to access their latest newsletter:
SPONSORSHIP of PALS
The USAFA K-12 STEM Outreach Program continues to sponsor PALS by providing funding to purchase teacher materials &/or door prizes for PALS Hub Meetings for the 2019-2020 school year !
LENDING LIBRARY – The STEM Outreach Program has a Lending Library that allows YOU to check out materials ! If you want to try any of the materials below in your classroom, contact Sandy Lamb at the phone or email listed above.
Click this link to see the most current items available for loan:
The Lending Library includes…
2 Classroom Sets of Ozobots; 12 WeDo 2.0; 18 Cubelets; 13 Mindsotrms EV3; 14 Code-a-Pillar; 6 SPRK+ & 10 Bolts; 12 Ollies; 3 BB-8; 10 Snap Circuits; 7 Little Bits; 14 Keva Contraptions; 6 Dash & Dot Wonder Packs; 2 Bebot Class Bundles (6 Bebots per Bundle); 2 2m Air Tracks; 2 Pitsco Straw Rocket Launchers; 12 Breakout Boxes; 9 Straws and Connectors Sets; 4 Funflakes Sets; 1 Set – Nasco Study Aids – Tracks & Poop; 2 Makedo Carboard Construction Kits; 8 IQ Building Sets; 7 LabQuest 2 with probes – temperature, motion detector, pH, conductivity, energy and dual range force; 1 Stream Table Kit; 14 Makey Makey Kits; 20 Molymod Molecular Model Sets; 5 Compound Microscopes; 7 pluggable Digital Microscopes with prepared slides; 6 Rube Goldberg Kits; 8 iPad Air 2 in shockproof cases for Programing WeDo, Mindstorms, Spheros and Oxobots; 1 Dewar Flask for Liquid Nitrogen (comes filled with liquid nitrogen, face shield and cryogloves for handling.); 2 Portable Wind Tunnels; 1 set Element Flashcards; 5 volume set of Chemical Demonstrations (books) by Shakhashiri; 1 Transform Infrared Spectrometer (good for AP Chemistry and Forensic Science classes) *; 1 Element Sample Set; Chemistry Kit – Chemical Reaction – What is the Powder?; Chemistry Kit – Chemical Reaction Mania; Chemistry Kit – Controlling a Chemical Reaction
*Attention AP Chemistry, Forensic Science, and other interested teachers: Expose your students to very modern chemical instrumentation and let them use it. The FTIR is an instrument that is used to obtain an infrared spectrum from the absorption or emission of a solid or liquid. This instrument can be found in some crime scene labs to analyze the chemical make-up of unknown solids and liquids. It can also be used to analysis the chemical make-up of unknown fibers. This state-of-the art FTIR has an adapter called Attenuated Total Reflectance (ATR). With the ATR, you simply have to put a drop of liquid sample or a small amount of solid sample on the diamond waveguide and that’s it! No sample prep! In fact, you can put swatches of fabric on the waveguide and it can tell the difference between nylon, polyester, wool, cotton……..! The “Fourier Transform” part means that it measures all wavelengths at the same time; it doesn’t scan. It can take 32 spectra in about a minute, average them, and then display the spectrum. It is also able to do library searches of its spectra data bank to find matches. In a word – WOW! It really is easy to use and to interpret the spectra. Very easy to use.
Links to current and former USAFA STEM Outreach Newsletters
- January 2020 USAFA STEM Outreach Newsletter
- 2019 USAFA STEM Outreach Lending Library
- 2019 USAFA STEM Outreach brochure
- 2020 February USAFA STEM Outreach Program Newsletter
- 2020 January USAFA K-12 STEM Outreach Program Newsletter
- 2019 October USAFA K-12 STEM Outreach Program Newsletter
- 2019 September USAFA STEM Outreach Program Newsletter
- 2019 August USAFA K-12 STEM Outreach Program Newsletter
- 2019 May USAFA K-12 STEM Outreach Program Newsletter
- 2019 March USAFA K-12 STEM Outreach Program Newsletter
- 2019 January USAFA K-12 STEM Outreach Program Newsletter
- 2018 October USAFA K-12 STEM Outreach Program Newsletter
- 2018 Sept USAFA K-12 STEM Outreach Program Newsletter
- 2018 Aug USAFA K-12 STEM Outreach Program Newsletter
- 2018 May USAFA K-12 STEM Outreach Program Newsletter
- 2018 April USAFA K-12 STEM Outreach Program Newsletter
- 2018 March USAFA K-12 STEM Outreach Program Newsletter
- 2018 February USAFA K-12 STEM Outreach Program Newsletter
- 2018 January USAFA K-12 STEM Outreach Program Newsletter
- 2017 December USAFA K-12 STEM Outreach Program Newslette
- 2017 September USAFA K-12 STEM Outreach Program Newsletter
- 2017 April USAFA K-12 STEM Outreach Program Newsletter2019