Welcome to PALS: Peak Area Leadership in Science!
PALS facilitates Hub Meetings – free professional development – throughout the school year for Pikes Peak area secondary science teachers. We do welcome other science educators including elementary teachers who teach science and retired secondary science educators on a ‘space available’ basis.
We will not be having a PALS Hub Meeting for the month of January. We WILL be having 2 shorter meetings in February and then 2 shorter meetings in March. You may register for either or both of the March meetings effective 2/25/2021.
To register, fill out the form on the right of your screen ON or AFTER the date indicated. (Alternately, you may email Tammy at RSVP@sciencehubs.org or call/text Tammy at 719-337-1552 (cell)…. once the “Accepting Registrations” date has arrived. Early submissions will be deleted. Please include all required information!)
***** NEW – Because of the uncertainty due to the current pandemic and the need to limit the number of our participants, reservations are accepted ONLY for the next month’s upcoming hub meeting(s). You may NOT sign up for the additional hub meetings at this time. Use the form on the right side of this page. We will send an e-mail reminder in advance of each of the workshops and may request that you confirm your participation in advance. If you do not respond to the confirmation request your place may be given to another participant.
Professional Development Contact Hours OR Credit (CEU) from CSM
Teachers participating in Hub Meetings may earn either university credit hours or professional development clock hours. If you attend ALL of the sessions this year you could earn 60 contact hours (documented with a certificate) or – for a modest fee – 4 semester hours of continuing education credit from CSM.
———- UPCOMING MEETINGS
Below is a list of the PALS Hub Meetings for the second semester of this school year. Click on the link to access additional information!
- *** VIRTUAL *** – Virtual Teaching Tools – Getting students actively engaged in your online classroom and beyond!: Wed. Feb 24, Part Day [4:00 pm – 6:00 pm]. [Only 2 HRS !]
- ** VIRTUAL *** – Incorporating PhET in Your Science Classroom: Wed., Mar. 10 Part Day [4:00 pm – 6:00 pm]. [Only 2 HRS !]
- ** VIRTUAL *** – Using the Hazards Education Awareness and Resilience Task Force (HEART Force) Curriculum in your Science Classroom: Wed. March 31st, Part Day [4:00 pm – 6:00 pm] [Only 2 HRS !]
- ** VIRTUAL *** Physics in the Natural World – Little Shop of Physics: Thurs, April 8 Part Day [4:00 pm – 6:00 pm] [Only 2 HRS !]
- ** VIRTUAL *** Classroom Crime Scenes – Wednesday, April 21 Part Day [4:00 pm – 6:00 pm] [Only 2 HRS !]
- Operation Montserrat at the Challenger Learning Center: Sat., May 1 Part Day [8:30 am – 12:30 pm]
PLEASE… Cancel your reservation if you cannot attend. Let us know (via our Contact Us page) or by emailing Tammy at RSVP@sciencehubs.org or by calling/texting Tammy at 719-337-1552 (cell) as far in advance as possible, as we may have a waiting list and/or may have to pay in advance for your spot. Because of the ever-changing COVID-19 status, we are limiting participation at many of our hub meetings this year. Reserving a spot and failing to show may cost another educator the opportunity to participate. Please be considerate of your colleagues!
Below is a list of the PALS Hub Meetings that took place earlier this school year. Click on the links to access additional information!
- Biodiversity of Mueller State Park: Sat., Aug. 22 Full Day [8:15 am – 4:00 pm]. 8.22.2020 PALS Flyer – Biodiversity at Mueller State Park
- Going Viral – Coronavirus Lessons you can share with YOUR students: Wed., Sept. 9 Part Day [4:00 pm – 8:00 pm] *** VIRTUAL *** 9.9.2020 PALS Flyer – Going Viral
- The Discovery of the Rise of the Mammals at Corral Bluffs: Sat, Sept. 26 Part Day [8:00 am – 1:30 pm] 9.26.2020 PALS Flyer – Corral Bluffs
- Brain Matters: How Stress Impacts the Teenage Brain: Sat., Oct. 10 Part Day [8:00 am – 12:00 pm]. *** VIRTUAL *** 10.10.2020 PALS Flyer – Brain Matters – Anxiety and the Teenage Brain
- Brave New Worlds in Learning: Approaching our profession in new ways using best practices in remote & hybrid learning. Wed, Oct. 28 Part Day [4:00 pm – 8:00 pm]. *** VIRTUAL *** 10.28.2020 PALS Flyer – Brave New Worlds
- From the Nile to the Colorado – Hippos and Water Conservation: Sat., Nov 7 Part Day [8:30 am – 12:30 pm] 11.7.2020 PALS Flyer – Cheyenne Mountain Zoo
- Exploring the Science of Caving – Virtual Lessons from CaveSim: Sat., Dec. 5 Part Day [8:00 am – 12:00 noon] *** VIRTUAL ***. 12.5.2020 PALS Flyer – Physical Science of Caving
- – Incorporating Free LabXChange Resources Into Your Remote/Hybrid Learning Wed., Feb 10, Part Day [4:00 pm – 6:00 pm]. *** VIRTUAL ***(Geared toward 9-12 grade Biology, Chemistry, Biomed Pathway Teachers). [Only 2 HRS !]
Chemistry of Medicines and Drugs: Sat., Jan. 23 Full Day [8:15 am – 4:00 pm]Cancelled – Will be rescheduled for a future time when in-person meetings are possible. DNA at the Crime Scene and Beyond: Sat., Feb. 13 Full Day [8:00 am – 4:00 pm]Cancelled – Will be rescheduled for a future time when in-person meetings are possible.
———- LIABILITY FORM:
Participants in our meetings are required to complete a Liability form PALS 2020-21. If you would like to fill this out in advance and bring the finished form to your first meeting, please do so. If your first meeting is a virtual meeting, a link to a google form will be provided in an email just before the meeting and again within the meeting.
Thanks to ALL of our funders !
- Mikkelson Education Fund / Jim Mikkelson
- USAFA K-12 STEM Outreach Program
- D. Furstenau Memorial Donation
Please visit our Sponsors Page for more details !
Go to our Archives Page for information about previous year’s (2018-2019, 2017-2018, 2016-2017, 2015-2016) hub meetings.