Welcome to PALS:
Peak Area Leadership in Science!
PALS facilitates Hub Meetings – free professional development – throughout the school year for Pikes Peak area secondary science teachers. We do welcome other science educators including retired secondary science educators on a ‘space available’ basis and elementary teachers who teach science.
Our 2022-2023 program is ready!
Thanks to those of you who joined us for our 2nd annual PALS Open House
PLEASE sign up for hub meetings using the form on the right of this page… OR by emailing Tammy at RSVP@sciencehubs.org or by calling/texting Tammy at 719-337-1552 (cell). See below for more information about reservations.
2022-2023 Calendar & Descriptions of PALS Hub Meetings
Here are the calendar (one page) and descriptions (many pages) of our hub meetings for this school year. You may choose to download either file. Please share this information with any other science teachers in your building, district, and/or your contacts.
———- UPCOMING MEETINGS
These are the PALS Hub Meetings that will take place this school year. All will be IN PERSON. As the year progresses blue links will be included. Click on the blue date for more information or click on the blue highlighted link to access the flyer!
- Sept 17, 2022 (Sat) 8am – 1:30pm: Implementing the Standards in HS Science. 9.17.2022 FLYER
- Oct 1, 2022 (Sat) 8am – 2pm: Geo Maker Institute: Mapping, Making and Storytelling 10.1.22 FLYER
- Oct 8, 2022 (Sat) 2 pm – 11 pm [contact hours = 4pm – 9pm]: Wild about Elk 10.8.22 FLYER
- Nov 12, 2022 (Sat) 8:30am – 2pm: Redesigning High School Science Investigations
- Nov 30, 2022 (Wed) 4pm – 7pm: Grouper Moon Project + STEM -Conservation of an Endangered Species Using Technology
- Dec 5, 2022 (Mon) 4pm – 7 pm: Ute People and STEM Practices
- *********Previous Meetings ***********
- Aug 20, 2022 (Sat) 8am – 5:30pm: Dinosaur Freeways, Cretaceous Seaways, and Fossil Traces in Swampy Places 8.20.22 FLYER
- Sept 8, 2022 (Thurs) 4pm – 7 pm: Exploring Connections to the Standards through Local Phenomena 9.8.2022 FLYER
- Jan 21, 2023 (Sat) 8:15am – 2pm: Chemistry of Art and Color
- Feb 4, 2023 (Sat) 8am – 1pm: Creating the Future: Genetic Engineering and Synthetic Biology
- Feb 15, 2023 (Wed) 4pm – 7pm: Local Water Wonders: Water Education with Colorado Springs Utilities
- Mar 1, 2023 (Wed) 4pm – 7pm: Invasive Lionfish Program: Human Impact, Ecological Impact and Engineering Design
- Mar 15 (Wed) 4pm – 7pm: Conversations with a Forensic Pathologist !
- Apr 15, 2023 (Sat) 8am – 1:30pm: Continuing Chemistry and Biochemistry Education at UCCS
- April 29, 2023 (Sat) 8am – 1:30pm:Birds Galore !
———- PALS PARTICIPANT INFORMATION (Liability) FORM:
Participants in our meetings are required to complete a 2022-2023 PALS Information Form . If you would like to fill this out in advance and bring the finished form to your first meeting, please do so.
———- More about RESERVATIONS & CANCELLATIONS:
Registration for one month’s meetings will open on the workday after the first hub meeting of the previous month. When registration is open, use the form on the right side of this page. We will send an e-mail reminder to registered teachers in advance of each of the workshops and may request that you confirm your participation in advance. If you do not respond to the confirmation request your place may be given to another participant.
PLEASE… Cancel if you cannot attend. Let us know (via our Contact Us page) or by emailing Tammy at RSVP@sciencehubs.org or by calling/texting Tammy at 719-337-1552 (cell) as far in advance as possible, as we may have a waiting list and/or may have to pay in advance for your spot. Several of our hub meetings this year involve paying significant entry fees per person, so we are limiting participation. Late cancellations may cost another educator the opportunity to participate. Please be considerate of your colleagues!
Reserving a spot and failing to show makes planning on the part of our team and our speakers difficult, definitely causes us to spend precious grant money on unused materials and may cost another educator the opportunity to participate. Please be a responsible member of our learning community and cancel in advance if you are unable to attend.
———- DOCUMENTATION OF HOURS:
Looking for professional development clock hours or college continuing education credits? If you attend ALL of the sessions this year you could earn 60 contact hours (documented with a certificate). OR if you choose to pay a modest fee you could earn up to 4 semester hours of continuing education credit from CSM.
Need to know more about 2022-2023 Documentation & Credit Information? Click the appropriate file link below.
Thanks to ALL of our funders !
- Mikkelson Education Fund / Jim Mikkelson
- D. Furstenau Memorial Donation
Please visit our Sponsors Page for more details !
Go to our Archives Page for information about previous year’s (2020-2021, 2019-2020, 2018-2019, 2017-2018, 2016-2017, 2015-2016) hub meetings.