Welcome to PALS: Peak Area Leadership in Science!
PALS facilitates Hub Meetings – free professional development – throughout the school year for Pikes Peak area secondary science teachers. We do welcome other science educators including elementary teachers who teach science and retired secondary science educators on a ‘space available’ basis.
We are ready and excited for the 2021-2022 school year.
***** UPDATE – Because of “no shows” by participants who sign up in advance but don’t cancel in advance at recent meetings, we have changed our reservation requirements. You may only sign up for the upcoming month’s meetings. For now this means that you may sign up for the October 27th and the November 13th meeting. On or after the November 13th meeting you may sign up for the December meeting. This method of signing up will continue through the school year.
When registration is open, use the form on the right side of this page. We will send an e-mail reminder to registered teachers in advance of each of the workshops and may request that you confirm your participation in advance. If you do not respond to the confirmation request you place may be given to another participant.
PLEASE… Cancel if you cannot attend. Let us know (via our Contact Us page) or by emailing Tammy at RSVP@sciencehubs.org or by calling/texting Tammy at 719-337-1552 (cell) as far in advance as possible, as we may have a waiting list and/or may have to pay in advance for your spot. Several of our hub meetings this year involve paying significant entry fees per person, so we are limiting participation. Late cancellations may cost another educator the opportunity to participate. Please be considerate of your colleagues!
Reserving a spot and failing to show makes planning on the part of our team and our speakers difficult, definitely causes us to spend precious grant money on unused materials and may cost another educator the opportunity to participate. Please be a responsible member of our learning community and cancel in advance if you are unable to attend.
2021-2022 Calendar of PALS Hub Meetings
Below is a list of our upcoming Hub Meetings for this school year. If you’d like to view the list in a chart format – by semester, please click the appropriate file link below. Please share this information with any other science teachers in your building, district, and/or your contacts.
———- UPCOMING MEETINGS
Below is a list of the PALS Hub Meetings that will take place this school year. As the year progresses blue links will be included. Click on the blue links to access additional information!
Semester ONE – Upcoming
- What can I do with a Physics Degree?: Wed, Oct 27 Part Day [4 pm – 6 pm] Virtual
- Cave Exploration with CaveSim and Cave of the Winds: Sat, Nov 13 Part Day [8 am – 3 pm]
- Anchored Inquiry Learning – Designing Instruction to Explore Complex Phenomenon: Wed, Dec 8 Part Day [4 pm – 6 pm] In Person
Semester ONE – Already Occurred
- Diversity of Life at Cheyenne Mountain State Park: Sat, Aug 28 Full Day [8 am – 4 pm] In Person
- Classroom Tool – Thinglink: Wed, Sept 8 Part Day [4 pm – 6 pm] Virtual 9.8.2021 Flyer: ThingLink Virtual Hub Meeting
- PPII – Implementing and Assessing the NEW Colorado Science Standards: Sat, Sept 25 [8 am – 4 pm] In Person You will need to REGISTER for this workshop separately AT: https://tinyurl.com/PALSPPII9.25 Flyer: Pikes Peak Implementation Institute – Next Steps
- Fire – A Burning Issue: Sat, Oct 9 Full Day [8 am – 4 pm] In Person
- Chemistry of Medicines and Drugs: Sat, Jan 22 Full Day [8 am – 4 pm] In Person
- Using the Olympics to Energize your Science Lessons: Sat, Feb 19 Part Day [9 am – 1:30 pm] In Person
- Dynamic DNA: Sat, Mar 12 Full Day [8 am – 4 pm] In Person
- Organ and Tissue Donation and Transplantation Science: Wed, Apr 6 Part Day [4 pm – 6 pm] Virtual
- Little Shop of Physics – Our Planet Earth: Thur, Apr 21 Part Day [4 pm – 6 pm] In Person
- Minerals and Mining in Colorado: Sat, May 7 Part Day [8 am – 12 pm] In Person
PLEASE… Cancel your reservation if you cannot attend. Let us know (via our Contact Us page) or by emailing Tammy at RSVP@sciencehubs.org or by calling/texting Tammy at 719-337-1552 (cell) as far in advance as possible, as we may have a waiting list and/or may have to pay in advance for your spot. Because of the ever-changing COVID-19 status, we are limiting participation at many of our hub meetings this year. Reserving a spot and failing to show may cost another educator the opportunity to participate. Please be considerate of your colleagues!
———- DOCUMENTATION OF HOURS:
Looking for professional development clock hours or college continuing education credits? If you attend ALL of the sessions this year you could earn 65 contact hours (documented with a certificate). This year we will be handling college credit by semester. If you choose to pay a modest fee you could earn 2 semester hours for semester 1 and potentially 1.5 semester hours for semester 2 of continuing education credit from CSM.
Need to know more about 2021-2022 Documentation & Credit Information? Click the file link below.
———- LIABILITY FORM:
Participants in our meetings are required to complete a Liability form PALS 2021-22. If you would like to fill this out in advance and bring the finished form to your first meeting, please do so. If your first meeting is a virtual meeting, a link to a google form will be provided in an email just before the meeting and again within the meeting.
Thanks to ALL of our funders !
- Mikkelson Education Fund / Jim Mikkelson
- USAFA K-12 STEM Outreach Program
- D. Furstenau Memorial Donation
Please visit our Sponsors Page for more details !
Go to our Archives Page for information about previous year’s (2020-2021, 2019-2020, 2018-2019, 2017-2018, 2016-2017, 2015-2016) hub meetings.