Welcome to PALS: Peak Area Leadership in Science!
PALS facilitates Hub Meetings – free professional development – throughout the school year for Pikes Peak area secondary science teachers. We do welcome other science educators including elementary teachers who teach science and retired secondary science educators on a ‘space available’ basis.
We have completed our programming
for the 2020-2021 school year.
Check back with us in July to learn more about the upcoming school year (2021-2022).
*** JOIN US for our first ever PALS 2021-2022 Kick Off ! ***
Saturday, July 31st from 9 to 11:30 am
@ The International Dance Club 2422 Busch Ave, Colorado Springs, CO 80904
PALS will provide our calendar for the year, an opportunity to meet with your science teaching colleagues, some nourishment and some FREE Back-to-School goodies. Stop in when you can and stay as long as you like. This is more of an “open house” than a meeting. The time you spend with us will not be included in the documentation of our regular meetings for the school year.
To register for this event, fill out the form on the right of your screen. (Alternately, you may email Tammy at RSVP@sciencehubs.org or call/text Tammy at 719-337-1552 (cell)…. Please include all required information!)
You are invited to join us on Saturday, July 31 for our first-ever PALS 2021-2022 Kick Off ! We will be having a celebration of the coming school year and announcing the upcoming PALS offerings at the International Dance Club at 2422 Busch Ave , Colorado Springs, CO 80904 from 9 to 11:30 am.
ALSO – if you are a teacher wanting to find new homes for some of your treasured resources, please feel free to contact Nancy Hampson (firstname.lastname@example.org) to reserve some space where you can put out your goods to be picked up by other teachers. You would need to remove any unclaimed items at 11:30 am.
Professional Development Contact Hours OR Credit (CEU) from CSM
Teachers participating in Hub Meetings may earn either university credit hours or professional development clock hours. If you attend ALL of the sessions this year you could earn 60 contact hours (documented with a certificate) or – for a modest fee – 4 semester hours of continuing education credit from CSM.
———- PREVIOUS MEETINGS
Below is a list of the PALS Hub Meetings that took place earlier this school year. Click on the links to access additional information!
- Biodiversity of Mueller State Park: Sat., Aug. 22 Full Day [8:15 am – 4:00 pm]. 8.22.2020 PALS Flyer – Biodiversity at Mueller State Park
- Going Viral – Coronavirus Lessons you can share with YOUR students: Wed., Sept. 9 Part Day [4:00 pm – 8:00 pm] *** VIRTUAL *** 9.9.2020 PALS Flyer – Going Viral
- The Discovery of the Rise of the Mammals at Corral Bluffs: Sat, Sept. 26 Part Day [8:00 am – 1:30 pm] 9.26.2020 PALS Flyer – Corral Bluffs
- Brain Matters: How Stress Impacts the Teenage Brain: Sat., Oct. 10 Part Day [8:00 am – 12:00 pm]. *** VIRTUAL *** 10.10.2020 PALS Flyer – Brain Matters – Anxiety and the Teenage Brain
- Brave New Worlds in Learning: Approaching our profession in new ways using best practices in remote & hybrid learning. Wed, Oct. 28 Part Day [4:00 pm – 8:00 pm]. *** VIRTUAL *** 10.28.2020 PALS Flyer – Brave New Worlds
- From the Nile to the Colorado – Hippos and Water Conservation: Sat., Nov 7 Part Day [8:30 am – 12:30 pm] 11.7.2020 PALS Flyer – Cheyenne Mountain Zoo
- Exploring the Science of Caving – Virtual Lessons from CaveSim: Sat., Dec. 5 Part Day [8:00 am – 12:00 noon] *** VIRTUAL ***. 12.5.2020 PALS Flyer – Physical Science of Caving
- – Incorporating Free LabXChange Resources Into Your Remote/Hybrid Learning Wed., Feb 10, Part Day [4:00 pm – 6:00 pm]. *** VIRTUAL ***(Geared toward 9-12 grade Biology, Chemistry, Biomed Pathway Teachers). [Only 2 HRS !]
- *** VIRTUAL *** – Virtual Teaching Tools – Getting students actively engaged in your online classroom and beyond!: Wed. Feb 24, Part Day [4:00 pm – 6:00 pm]. [Only 2 HRS !]
- ** VIRTUAL *** – Incorporating PhET in Your Science Classroom: Wed., Mar. 10 Part Day [4:00 pm – 6:00 pm]. [Only 2 HRS !]
- ** VIRTUAL *** – Using the Hazards Education Awareness and Resilience Task Force (HEART Force) Curriculum in your Science Classroom: Wed. March 31st, Part Day [4:00 pm – 6:00 pm] [Only 2 HRS !]
- *** VIRTUAL *** Physics in the Natural World – Little Shop of Physics: Thurs, April 8 Part Day [4:00 pm – 6:00 pm] [Only 2 HRS !]
- *** VIRTUAL *** Classroom Crime Scenes – Wednesday, April 21 Part Day [4:00 pm – 6:00 pm] [Only 2 HRS !]
- *** IN PERSON *** Operation Montserrat at the Challenger Learning Center: Sat., May 1 Part Day [8:30 am – 12:30 pm]
Chemistry of Medicines and Drugs: Sat., Jan. 23 Full Day [8:15 am – 4:00 pm]Cancelled – Will be rescheduled for a future time when in-person meetings are possible. DNA at the Crime Scene and Beyond: Sat., Feb. 13 Full Day [8:00 am – 4:00 pm]Cancelled – Will be rescheduled for a future time when in-person meetings are possible.
PLEASE… Cancel your reservation if you cannot attend. Let us know (via our Contact Us page) or by emailing Tammy at RSVP@sciencehubs.org or by calling/texting Tammy at 719-337-1552 (cell) as far in advance as possible, as we may have a waiting list and/or may have to pay in advance for your spot. Because of the ever-changing COVID-19 status, we are limiting participation at many of our hub meetings this year. Reserving a spot and failing to show may cost another educator the opportunity to participate. Please be considerate of your colleagues!
———- LIABILITY FORM:
Participants in our meetings are required to complete a Liability form PALS 2020-21. If you would like to fill this out in advance and bring the finished form to your first meeting, please do so. If your first meeting is a virtual meeting, a link to a google form will be provided in an email just before the meeting and again within the meeting.
Thanks to ALL of our funders !
- Mikkelson Education Fund / Jim Mikkelson
- USAFA K-12 STEM Outreach Program
- D. Furstenau Memorial Donation
Please visit our Sponsors Page for more details !
Go to our Archives Page for information about previous year’s (2018-2019, 2017-2018, 2016-2017, 2015-2016) hub meetings.