Welcome to PALS: Peak Area Leadership in Science!
PALS facilitates Hub Meetings – free professional development – throughout the school year for Pikes Peak area secondary science teachers. We welcome other science educators including elementary teachers who teach science and retired science educators. Teachers participating in Hub Meetings may earn either university credit hours or professional development clock hours. If you attended ALL of our sessions you could earn 4 semester hours of continuing education credit from CSM or 60 contact hours. REGISTER NOW for any or all of the hub meetings for this year by filling out the form on the right of your screen.
Click here to access and download a copy of the recently updated (12.6.19) 2020 PALS Year Overview Chart.12.6.19 . We would LOVE it if you’d share this information with other science teachers. Print a copy and post in your science office! Download the file and share by e-mail. Invite a colleague to attend a meeting with you. If you want more detail, check out the 2019-2020 Semester 2 only PALS Year Overview Chart with Descriptions.
Click this link to learn more about 2019-2020 Documentation & Credit Information.
Information about the 2019-2020 PALS Calendar
Below is a list of our Hub Meetings for this school year. Click on any of the dates to find more information about that particular hub meeting !
If you attend ALL of the sessions this year you could earn 60 contact hours (documented with a certificate) or – for a modest fee – 4 semester hours of continuing education credit from CSM. Make reservations using the form on the right of the screen.
Feb. 11, 2020 – Tues – Back to the Moon, and on to Mars: Making Connections BEYOND Earth. . . Advancing Possibilities FOR Earth – Evening – 3.75* contact hrs
Mar. 11, 2020 – Wed – Fascinating Fingerprints – Evening – 3.75* contact hrs
NEW DATE – April 4, 2020 (was originally scheduled for Nov. 9, 2019) – Sat – From the Nile to the Colorado – Hippos and Water Conservation – Half Day – 3.75* contact hrs
Apr. 16, 2020 – Thurs – Physics in the Natural World – Little
Shop of Physics – Evening – 3.75* contact hrs
May 2, 2020 – Sat – Cave Exploration with CaveSim and
Cave of the Winds – Half Day – 3.75* contact hrs
- Dec. 7, 2019 – Sat – Building a Culture of Argumentation in YOUR Science Classroom – Full Day – 7.5* contact hrs. Click here for 12.7.19 – HUB Flyer – Argumentation
**** The PALS hub meeting originally scheduled for Sat., Nov 9, 2019 has been rescheduled to Sat., Apr 4, 2020 because the hippos’ return to the CMZ has been delayed. *****
- Oct. 19, 2019 – Sat – Life – Pushing the Limits @ DMNS – Full Day – 7.5* contact hrs. Click here for 10.19 HUB Flyer – DMNS.
- Sept. 28, 2019 – Sat – The Uplift of Mountains – Fault Patterns along the Front Range – Full Day – 7.5* contact hours. Click here for 9.28 HUB Flyer – Faults .
- Sept. 18, 2019 – Wed – Waste Water Treatment & Water Quality with Colorado Springs Utilities – Evening – 3.75* contact hours. Click here for 9.18 HUB Flyer – Water – CSU.
- Aug. 24, 2019 – Sat – Exploring Science Processes at the Florissant Fossil Beds National Monument – Full Day – 7.5* contact hrs. Click here for 8.24 HUB Flyer – Florissant Fossil Beds.
LIABILITY FORM: Participants in our meetings are required to complete a Liability Form 2019-2020. If you would like to fill this out in advance and bring the finished form to your first meeting, please do so.
***** NEW – Reservations are accepted on an ongoing basis. Sign up for all of the workshops you’d like to attend when you are ready to commit and mark your calendar. Use the form on the right side of this page. We will send an e-mail reminder in advance of each of the workshops.
PLEASE… Cancel if you cannot attend. Let us know (via our Contact Us page) or by emailing Tammy at RSVP@sciencehubs.org or by calling/texting Tammy at 719-337-1552 (cell) as far in advance as possible, as we may have a waiting list and/or may have to pay in advance for your spot. Several of our hub meetings this year involve paying significant entry fees per person, so we are limiting participation. Reserving a spot and failing to show may cost another educator the opportunity to participate. Please be considerate of your colleagues! *****
FUNDING: Thanks to ALL of our funders !
Major funding provided by the Mikkelson Foundation and by the Mikkelson Education Fund. Additional funding by the USAFA STEM Outreach Program and local school districts. See our
In January, 2018 PALS received a large donation in honor of D. Furstenau. We deeply appreciate this donation!
Additional support provided for 2019-2020
- Some Teacher Materials provided by USAFA K-12 STEM OUTREACH
- Meeting space and/or printing services provided by local schools: Sand Creek High School (SD49), Cheyenne Mountain Junior High School (CMSD12), Discovery Canyon Campus (D20); Falcon Homeschool Academic Program (SD49).
Go to Archives Page for information about previous year’s (2018-2019, 2017-2018, 2016-2017, 2015-2016) hub meetings.