Welcome to PALS: Peak Area Leadership in Science!
PALS facilitates Hub Meetings – free professional development – throughout the school year for Pikes Peak area secondary science teachers.
Our 2018-2019 calendar is ready. Here is a list of our Hub Meetings for this school year. Click on any of the Dates below to find more information about the hub meeting ! If you attended ALL of our sessions you could earn 4 semester hours of continuing education credit from CSM or 60 contact hours. REGISTER NOW for any or all of the hub meetings for this year by filling out the form on the right of your screen.
- August 25, 2018 – Sat – Trip to Denver – Botanic Gardens (@ Chatfield) & Butterfly Pavillion – 7.5 Contact Hours
- September 22, 2018 – Sat – Trip to Pueblo – Exploring Bees, Raptors and Ecology of the Arkansas River – 7.5 Contact Hours
- October 10, 2018 – Wed PM – Physics is Fun and Easy – 3.75 Contact Hours
- October 21, 2018 – Sun (really !) – Picket Wire Canyonlands – Carpool (High Clearance, 4WD) to LaJunta – 7.5 Contact Hours
- November 14, 2018 – Wed PM – Practical Astronomy for Secondary Science Teachers –Contact Hours – 3.75 Contact Hours
- December 1, 2018 – Sat – More Brain-Based Instruction by Tim and Robert of DMNS – 7.5 Contact Hours
- January 26, 2018 – Sat – Chemistry of Rocks, Minerals and Mining at USAFA Chemistry Department – 7.5 Contact Hours
- February 13, 2018 – Wed PM – Games in the Science Classroom – 3.75 Contact Hours
- March 14, 2018 – Thur PM – Biomechanics and Human Performance at the Olympic Training Center – 3.75 Contact Hours
- April 17, 2018 – Wed PM – Making sense of the Next Generation Science Standards – 3.75 Contact Hours
- May 4, 2018 – Sat AM – Reticulated Conservation at the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo – 3.75 Contact Hours
Access and download a copy of the PALS Overview Chart for 2018-2019 – updated 8.1.18
Participants in our meetings are required to complete a Liability Form 2018-2019. If you would like to fill this out in advance and bring the finished form to your first meeting, please do so.
***** NEW – Reservations are accepted on an ongoing basis. Sign up for all of the workshops you’d like to attend when you are ready to commit and mark your calendar. We will send an e-mail reminder in advance of each of the workshops.
PLEASE… Cancel if you cannot attend, let us know (via our Contact Us page) or by emailing Tammy at RSVP@sciencehubs.org or by calling or texting Tammy at 719-337-1552 (cell) as far in advance as possible, as we may have a waiting list and/or may have to pay in advance for your spot. Several of our hub meetings this year involve paying significant entry fees per person, so we are limiting participation. Reserving a spot and failing to show may cost another educator the opportunity to participate. *****
FUNDING: Thanks to ALL of our funders !
Major funding provided by the Mikkelson Foundation and by the Mikkelson Education Fund.
In January, 2018 PALS received a large donation in honor of D. Furstenau. We deeply appreciate this donation!
Additional support provided for 2018-2019
- Some Teacher Materials provided by USAFA K-12 STEM OUTREACH
- Introduction to Brain-based Instruction (12/1/2018) co-sponsored by CAST – Colorado Association of Science Teachers.
- Meeting space provided by local schools: Sierra High School (SD2), Sand Creek High School (SD49), Cheyenne Mountain Junior High School (CMSD12)
Go to Archives Page for information about previous year’s (2017-2018, 2016-2017, 2015-2016) hub meetings.