Welcome to PALS: Peak Area Leadership in Science!
PALS facilitates Hub Meetings – free professional development – throughout the school year for Pikes Peak area secondary science teachers.
Your PALS Hub Meeting Planning Team is working hard to get the 2018-2019 calendar ready. Please check back around August 1st for finalized details ! Until then… here are some of the ideas we are pursuing:
- August – Weekend Full Day – Trip to Denver to see the Botanic Gardens & Butterfly Pavillion
- September – Weekend Full Day – Trip to Pueblo – Bees, Raptors, and Ecosystems
- October – Weekend Full Day – Trip to Picket Wire Canyonlands
- November – Weekday Late Afternoon/Evening – Astronomy
- December – Full Day – More Brain-Based Instruction by Tim and Robert of DMNS
- January – Weekend Full Day – Chemistry in Geology at USAFA with Balaich & Furstenau
- February – Weekday Late Afternoon/Evening –
- March – Weekday Late Afternoon/Evening –
- April -Weekday Late Afternoon/Evening – Games in the Science Classroom
- May – Weekend Half Day –
———- INFO BELOW THIS LINE IS FROM LAST SCHOOL YEAR !
Click here to see LAST YEARS 2017-2018 Hub Meetings (PALS Overview Chart) updated 12.2017 .
Click on the links below to explore LAST year’s (2017 – 2018) hub meetings:
- August 26, 2017 – Saturday : Formative Assessment – 3.75 contact hours
- September 23, 2017 – Saturday : Geology as seen in Building Stones, Monuments, and Mountains in Colorado Springs – 7.5 contact hours
- October 14, 2017 – Saturday : Inside the Outdoor Classroom – Pikes Peak Environmental Education Workshop – 7.5 contact hours
- November 4, 2017 – Saturday: Introduction to Brain-based Instruction – 7.5 contact hours
- December 2, 2017 – Saturday: Archery and Firearms Science – 5.5 or 7.5 contact hours
- January 20, 2018 – Saturday: Dazzling Chemistry Demonstrations – 7.5 contact hours
- February 13, 2018 – Tuesday: Intro to Amateur Ham Radio – 3.75 contact hours
- March 10, 2018 – Saturday: Snow Science for Teachers – 7.5 contact hours
- April 12, 2018 – Thursday: Little Shop of Physics: A Warm Planet in a Cold Universe – 3.75 contact hours
- May 5, 2018 – Saturday: The State of Wolves in Colorado – 7.5 contact hours
Participants in our meetings are required to complete a Liability form 2017-18. If you would like to fill this out in advance and bring the finished form to your first meeting, please do so.
Major funding provided by the Mikkelson Foundation and by the Mikkelson Education Fund.
In January, 2018 PALS received a large donation in honor of D. Furstenau. We deeply appreciate this donation!
Additional support provided for 2017-2018
- Dazzling Chemistry Demonstrations (1/20/17) – printing provided by USAFA STEM OUTREACH
- Inside the Outdoor Classroom – Pikes Peak Environmental Education Workshop (10/14/2017) organized by Southeastern Regional Environmental Education Council of CAEE. This workshop is meeting the goals of the CEEP (Colorado Environmental Education Plan), a document of Colorado Department of Education and Department of Natural Resources.
- Introduction to Brain-based Instruction (11/4/2017) co-sponsored by CAST – Colorado Association of Science Teachers.
- Little Shop of Physics -A Warm Planet in a Cold Universe (4/12/2018) – Teacher materials – amazing infrared thermometers – provided by USAFA STEM OUTREACH
Thank you to our partners / sponsors!
*** NEW – Reservations are accepted on an ongoing basis. Sign up for all of the workshops you’d like to attend when you are ready to commit and mark your calendar. We will send an e-mail reminder in advance of each of the workshops.
PLEASE… if you cannot attend, let us know (via our Contact Us page) or by emailing Tammy at RSVP@sciencehubs.org) as far in advance as possible, as we may have a waiting list and/or may have to pay in advance for your spot. ***
Go to Archives Page for information about previous year’s (2016-2017, 2015-2016) hub meetings.