Part Day [8:00 am – 3:00 pm] 0.25 sem hrs / 6 contact hours
Title: Experience Caving – CaveSim, Cave Lessons and the Cave of the Winds
Presenters: AM = Dave Jackson, CaveSim Inventor and Engineer and PM = Cave of the Winds Staff
Description: For the Morning: CaveSim: From physics, to chemistry, to biology, CaveSim programs teach a wide variety of science lessons, all centered around the theme of cave exploration. Come join us to experience our mobile cave system, and see how we teach students to love science by allowing them to feel the joy of exploration. We’ll show you how we teach bat biology, epidemiology, and statistics using bat games, and how we use our 12′ vertical caving tower to teach forces, friction, pulleys, and other physics concepts. You’ll gain a better understanding of how CaveSim programs can integrate with your curriculum, and you’ll come away with activities that you can do in your own classroom.
For the Afternoon: Travel by car to the Cave of the Winds where you will participate in ONE of the following tours:
● Caving 101 – “Take An Exciting Cave Trek! Explore the wild, undeveloped depths of the Manitou Grand Caverns on the 2 – 2.5-hour guided tour that involves an assortment of crawling, climbing, and walking through wet and muddy passages of various sizes. On this tour, you will crawl / climb / walk for nearly a mile while learning basic spelunking skills and the history as well as geology of the cave. This tour is not recommended for guests who have back or knee trouble. Please wear clothing you won’t mind getting dirty and possibly ruined by the mud in the cave.
Each participant needs to bring a flashlight or headlamp, a change of clothes, and an extra pair of shoes. Knee pads and/or a pair of gloves may be helpful. There will be no other source of light in the portion of the cave you will be exploring.
● Discover Tour! – Explore the electrically lit portion of the Cave of the Winds on a 45 – 60 minute guided walking tour which includes 15 rooms, a 1/2 mile of concrete walkways, and 196 stairs. On this tour you will learn about the history and geology of the cave while being shown some of its most beautiful formations. The cave is consistently 54 degrees fahrenheit, so a light sweater or jacket may be necessary. Wear comfortable clothing, such as a long sleeve shirt and pants, and good walking shoes.
8:00 Introductions & PALS Administrivia
8:15 Overview of CaveSim and Cave Activities
- CaveSim – Explore over 60 feet of artificial cave filled with beautiful formations, sensors and computer scoring, science lessons
- Bat Biology
- Chemistry of Carbide Lamps
- Physics of Vertical Caving from 12 feet in the air
8:30 Rotation through CaveSim and Cave Activities
11:30 Wrap Up, Evaluations, and Door Prizes
12:45 Meet at Cave of the Winds for one of the two optional tours
Discover Tour (45 min – 1 hour)
Caving 101 Tour (2 – 2.5 hours).
You must pre-register for these tours when you RSVP for this workshop.