Welcome to PALS: Peak Area Leadership in Science!
PALS facilitates Hub Meetings – free professional development – throughout the school year for Pikes Peak area secondary science teachers. Teachers participating in Hub Meetings may earn either university credit hours or professional development clock hours. If you attended ALL of our sessions you could earn 4 semester hours of continuing education credit from CSM or 60 contact hours. REGISTER NOW for any or all of the hub meetings for this year by filling out the form on the right of your screen.
Access and download a copy of the PALS Hub Meetings 2018-2019 (Chart). We would LOVE it if you’d share this information with other science teachers. Print a copy and post in your science office!
Click this link to learn more about Credit/Documentation Options 2018-2019
NOTE: Exciting NEWS for D11 Teachers. Darian Founds, K-12 Science and Health Facilitator, CSSD11 has had PALS approved through the D11 Professional Development Program. D11 teachers can submit their certificates of participation from PALS for D11 credit.
Click on the links below to get more information about our 2018-19 Hub Meetings:
- September 22, 2018 – Sat – Trip to Pueblo – Exploring Bees, Raptors and Ecology of the Arkansas River – 7.5 Contact Hours
- October 10, 2018 – Wed PM – Physics is Fun and Easy – 3.75 Contact Hours
- October 21, 2018 – Sun (really !) – Picket Wire Canyonlands – Carpool (High Clearance, 4WD) to LaJunta – 7.5 Contact Hours
- November 14, 2018 – Wed PM – Practical Astronomy for Secondary Science Teachers –Contact Hours – 3.75 Contact Hours
- December 1, 2018 – Sat – More Brain-Based Instruction by Tim and Robert of DMNS – 7.5 Contact Hours
- January 26, 2018 – Sat – Chemistry of Rocks, Minerals and Mining at USAFA Chemistry Department – 7.5 Contact Hours
- February 13, 2018 – Wed PM – Games in the Science Classroom – 3.75 Contact Hours
- March 14, 2018 – Thur PM – Biomechanics and Human Performance at the Olympic Training Center – 3.75 Contact Hours
- April 17, 2018 – Wed PM – Making sense of the Next Generation Science Standards – 3.75 Contact Hours
- May 4, 2018 – Sat AM – Reticulated Conservation at the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo – 3.75 Contact Hours
—– PAST MEETINGS
- August 25, 2018 – Sat – Trip to Denver – Botanic Gardens (@ Chatfield) & Butterfly Pavillion – 7.5 Contact Hours
LIABILITY FORM: Participants in our meetings are required to complete a Liability Form 2018-2019. If you would like to fill this out in advance and bring the finished form to your first meeting, please do so.
***** NEW – Reservations are accepted on an ongoing basis. Sign up for all of the workshops you’d like to attend when you are ready to commit and mark your calendar. Use the form on the right side of this page. We will send an e-mail reminder in advance of each of the workshops.
PLEASE… Cancel if you cannot attend. Let us know (via our Contact Us page) or by emailing Tammy at RSVP@sciencehubs.org or by calling/texting Tammy at 719-337-1552 (cell) as far in advance as possible, as we may have a waiting list and/or may have to pay in advance for your spot. Several of our hub meetings this year involve paying significant entry fees per person, so we are limiting participation. Reserving a spot and failing to show may cost another educator the opportunity to participate. Please be considerate of your colleagues! *****
FUNDING: Thanks to ALL of our funders !
Major funding provided by the Mikkelson Foundation and by the Mikkelson Education Fund.
In January, 2018 PALS received a large donation in honor of D. Furstenau. We deeply appreciate this donation!
Additional support provided for 2018-2019
- Some Teacher Materials provided by USAFA K-12 STEM OUTREACH
- Introduction to Brain-based Instruction (12/1/2018) co-sponsored by CAST – Colorado Association of Science Teachers.
- Meeting space provided by local schools: Sierra High School (SD2), Sand Creek High School (SD49), Cheyenne Mountain Junior High School (CMSD12)
Go to Archives Page for information about previous year’s (2017-2018, 2016-2017, 2015-2016) hub meetings.