Exploring Science Processes at the Florissant Fossil Beds National Monument
Aug. 24, 2019 – Sat – Full Day – 7.5* contact hrs / 0.5 sem hrs – [7:30 am – 4:30 pm]
Presenters:Jeff Wolin and Kevin Jauregui
Description: Join us as we explore science processes at the Florissant Fossil Beds National Monument. Learn about geology as you hike the Petrified Forest Loop. Look for evidence of scientific processes during activities in the visitor’s center and in the educational center. Participate in a Paleobotany Activity which can be adapted for your own classroom. Search for fossils to take home at the nearby Fossil Quarry. You will receive teacher resources and materials and may be one of the lucky winners of a door prize!
Click here for 8.24 HUB Flyer – Florissant Fossil Beds.
* NOTE: Actual times for the meeting will exceed the stated contact hours to allow time for breaks, lunch, and/or travel time that is NOT included in contact hours.
- 7:30 AM Bus departs from CMJHS. Participants will participate in an activity on the bus
- 8:30 AM Arrival / bathrooms
- 8:45 AM Meet in Covered Amphitheater – Interpretive Talk and NPS Quiz Game – Jeff Wolin
- 9:30 AM Get ready for Hike
- 9:40 AM Interpretive Hike on Petrified Forest Loop (Geology Focus) – Kevin Jauregui
- 11:00 AM Divide into two groups.
- Group one: Watch park film to learn about the geology and history of the National Monument
- Group two: Explore visitor center and scavenger hunt to find scientific processes in exhibits about scientific discoveries.
- Groups switch at 11:20
- 11:50 AM Lunch (w/ some sing-a-long science songs) – Jeff Wolin
- Announcements, Door prizes
- 12:30 PM – 1:40 PM Yurt Fossil Activities – Kevin Jauregui – (including Paleobotanist Activity and/or other hands-on science activities)
- 1:45 PM Load Bus and Head to Quarry
- 2:00 PM – 3:15 PM Fossil Quarry – search for fossils with Kevin Jauregui
- 3:15 PM Evaluations
- 3:25 PM Load bus and return to school by 4:30 – Participants will participate in an activity on the bus
- 4:30 PM Arrive CMJHS